Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Went Broke Afterward

New York at night
The rest of my holiday I spent visiting the Big Apple, New York. I was going to be there for 10 days. To be honest, at that time I was kind of totally blind about what to do. But that would never prevent me from going to a new place.

I met my friend Tyas over there. We rented an apartment with some other friends so the cost could be split up. We stayed in Brooklyn.

When I was in Indonesia, I watched some movies, which showed me many things about New York. I saw the Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, the Empire State Building, and the Wall Street Bull, all through my TV! But then, finally, Oh God, I was there! I bought the city pass to make the costs cheaper. If I didn’t buy that, I would have spent twice as much as I did.

To get around the city, I used the subway. That was also my first experience riding an underground train. I’m actually already familiar with the train, but for the way it runs, I mean the underground track, that was surprising for me. I wondered how they came up with that idea. It’s supposed to be really expensive to build it, but then, the advantages exceed all the costs.
With the city pass, I went to six places: Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan Art Museum, and National History Museum. I’m telling you guys that all those things are gorgeous. But it was not really that expensive. Not! It was definitely expensive! Obviously! I went broke afterward.


Dude, what are you doing?
Other than those places, I went to some other places that are free such as the Central Park, New York Public Library, Federal Hall, New York Stock Exchange, American Indian Museum, and 9/11 Memorial. The first place is a super-huge park, located at the center of Manhattan. The second one is an old library, which also functions as a museum. The third one is the center of stock trading, located at the very infamous, Wall Street.

The fourth one is a museum for the history of Native Americans and Native artist. And the last one is the place where the two buildings of the World Trade Center collapsed. Now, two buildings are being built in their place. Both would be the new World Trade Center.

I finished traveling around the Big Apple on the eighth day. The day after, I did almost nothing. I was taking a rest. My legs were sore. This is the thing I don’t like about travelling: walking and walking! If you have a deep pocket you can avoid those things.

But, remember, when I got tired, I felt really happy because it felt like I conquered something through hard work. And hard walking! Haha! That’s worth it, though! I think I had a great moment for the past holiday. What did you guys do for the holidays?


2 comments:

  1. I envy youuuu! I wish I csn be there too someday, hmmm soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry. its only time matters. everybody deserves the chance to get there.

      Delete